Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Striped volumes in windows disk manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I am currently creating simple spanned volumes in windows 2000 with the disks presented from my Symmetrix 8830. My question is: Will I see greater performance if I create volumes using raid 0 or raid 5?

No, since the array itself is running as RAID0 or RAID5(S) since it is EMC.

My suggestion would be to create a large metavolume and migrate the data to the new volume.

That is what I thought about the raid.

As far as the meta size. I was told to never create metas. The EMC CE would do that for me. That seems
very innefficient to me. I do not want to wait for the
CE to get back to me.
Is creating my own metas very hard?

What version of EMC Control Center you have? U can create metavols with ECC 5.0 or higher or SYMCLI 4.3 with "Config Manager" enabled.

I recommend you the comtec17's suggestion... RAID 5 via W2K over Symmetrix has a poor performance. RAID 0 is not too bad, but you will have an administrator issue... I saw in customer they get lost with too much volumes striped in RAID 0 via S.O.

My suggestion is metavol (as comtec17 told U).

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back