Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String values in field across into varchar column

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlevasseur

Programmer
May 19, 2000
US
I'm not sure if anyone can help me on this, and have not been able to find an example anywhere. I will give an oversimplified example here

TestTbl
Region State
---- ----
NEA CT Select Region, State
NEA MA From TestTbl
NEA ME Where Region = 'NEA'
NEA NH
NEA RI
NEA VT

What I would like the output to look like would be 1 record per region, with state values strung into a varachr column

Region States
NEA 'CT MA ME NH RI VT'

Some users have asked for a small enhancement to a report I have developed. WHat they woul like is a fotter line with children rolling up to level for report they selected.

The stored proc I wrote is dynamic and allows then to summarize data at any level. I want to tack on a column
containing the lower level child info.

Any help much appreciated

Tanks, Ray

Hope this helps:

Code:
create proc stringEm
AS
Set nocount on

create table testtbl(
stateID INT IDENTITY,
region char(3),
state char(2)
)

insert into testtbl VALUES ('NEA','CT')
insert into testtbl VALUES ('NEA','MA')
insert into testtbl VALUES ('NEA','ME')

DECLARE @thisState INT
DECLARE @maxState INT

SELECT @thisState = MIN(stateID) FROM testTbl
SELECT @maxState = MAX(stateID) FRoM testTbl

create table #output(
	region char(3),
	states varchar(200)
)
insert into #output (region, states) SELECT distinct region,'' from testtbl

WHILE @thisState <= @maxState
BEGIN
	UPDATE #output SET states = states + state + ' ' FROM testtbl where stateID = @thisState
	select @thisState = @thisSTate + 1
END

select * from #output
go

Thanks for your help. I have begun adding a variation of your code example to my stored procedure. True to form, the user has said, &quot;yeabut&quot;, and would like the child members of multiple rollup structures available, 1 record per rollup.

The way I created the web report allows users to make multiple selections form a select list, then passes values to sql as an in () list. The current code works fine of they select a single value. I might be able to do something with a cursor.

so now they want

NEA 'MA ME NH CT VT RI'
SWA 'CA AZ NV ......'
SEA 'FL AL LA GA....'

But thanks again for a solution I would probably have not thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back