Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bos

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have a program which uses arrays of strings to keep track of a lot of information which the user can update or alter. I need to keep track of all the information somehow and allow it to be seen and adjusted by a user but I'm afraid the arrays of strings use up too much memory. Currently, I'm using the following arrays:

string1[32][256]
string2[32][256]
string3[32][256]
string4[32][256]

All of the strings are assigned initial values and are accessed by the user at different times to be updated with information. Should I try to keep all the information in a separate file or will the amount of strings above not be a problem. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi bos,

Without knowing a bit more about the use of the program and how often the information is accessed and changed, it is difficult to advise. You are looking at several megs of Strings in your description, so you could be heading for memory problems if you keep it all concurent. Splitting the data into logical groupings of Strings and saving non-current ones to file would be my best suggestion, but it rather depends on how the data is likely to be accessed.

HTH
scrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back