Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String or binary data would be truncated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior6202

Programmer
Sep 19, 2014
US
I'm new to Sql but I understand the basics and maybe a bit intermediate. I wrote this query to pull some information involving 3 tables dbo.NewFamNbrs$, dbo.CGIItemMaster and dbo.CGIFamilyMaster. In addition I want to perform an update statement to update column dbo.CGIItemMaster.FamilyIDX with the information of dbo.CGIFamilyMaster.IDX. I also know that truncation is indicating that I'm trying to insert data into a field not large enough. So I performed a len() function on the both columns and order by desc and they both came up with 4 as being the max. I'm out of ideas any help will be appreciated.

Error message: Msg 8152, Level 16, State 2, Procedure CGIItemMaster_UPDATE, Line 6
String or binary data would be truncated.
The statement has been terminated.

Query:

SELECT a.PART, a.Family, b.FamilyIDX, c.FamilyID, c.IDX
FROM dbo.NewFamNbrs$ a LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.CGIFamilyMaster c ON a.Family = c.FamilyID LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.CGIItemMaster b ON a.PART = b.PART

Results of query:

PART---------------Family---------FamilyIDX---------FamilyID--------IDX
000127233-----------TF01------------1468-------------TF01-----------506
000129880-----------TF01------------1468-------------TF01-----------506
003110--------------MET06-----------1468-------------MET06----------1915

UPDATE STATEMENT:

begin tran
update dbo.CGIItemMaster
set FamilyIDX=c.IDX
FROM dbo.NewFamNbrs$ a LEFT OUTER JOIN
CGIFamilyMaster c ON a.Family = c.FamilyID LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.CGIItemMaster b ON a.PART = b.PART

try select max(len(c.IDX)), max(datalength(c.IDX))

assuming the query you gave is only updating that single column it may be nvarchar vs char/varchar

I would also try and do a convert to varbinary of that field to see if there are any unprintable chars.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back