Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String Measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP1709

Programmer
Feb 21, 2006
US
Hi,

I want to add string measures into the cube. I am having one status field into schema which needs to be added as measure. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Saurabh

I would convert/transform that string measure to a numeric measure during the cube build. So if you had a status code of 1 = active and 0 = inactive, you could also sum the inactive column to find all the inactives.

Alternatively (and preferably in my opinion), you could create another dimension called status.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Thanks for the reply,
But my status field will be holding text values such as 'optimal', 'failed' ,'need some modification' etc
There are certain reporting needs due to which i cannot create it as dimension. So have to handle it as a measure

Please let me know if this can be acheived

You may want to look at Member Properties...These values are displayed as strings and can be added to the measures within a cube (MDX Expression)

NOTE: Make sure that the end user tool will support the string value as a measure example: Cognos PowerPlay does not support non-numeric values within measures.

Also, in case you did not know, in the Dimension builder, there is a way to associate a dimension code with a dimension description. Thus if you needed the description on the report, you could get it that way.

I do not understand how you are unable to use this field as a dimension and meet user reporting requirements.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Hi,

lochew :
Whats the MDX expression for showing member properties. Can you please provide pointer to any link wher I can get more info on this.

jhonerman:
I will be viewing this cube in excel using a third party tool. We will be having two measures in report, Absolute and Relative. We will be providing user with the combo in excel to select one of these. If user selects Absolute we have to show Absolute measure and if he selects relative we have to display relative measure.

Now the third party tool which I am having gives me feature of selecting measures to be displayed at runtime. But I cannot change dimensions in report in this tool at runtime.

Basically these measures will be holding values like 'Optimal', 'Needs improvement', 'failed'...etc

Hope I am able to make you understand my query better. Hope you can provide some help on this

Thanks,

Hi

Lochew :
Ur solution has worked only problem I am facing is that if value in database is NULL, I get 0 in cube. Can I do anything for this
I tried changing expression as
Iif(([Case].properties("Relative"))=0,"",[Case].properties("Rel Solution Status")) and
Iif(Isempty([Case].properties("Relative")),"",[Case].properties("Rel Solution Status"))
but its giving me error as
Syntax error -- Token is not valid

Please suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back