Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String Checking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rathalos

Programmer
Apr 21, 2010
GB
Hello, currently im trying to develop a little app based on a game to help with proper equipment selection, its not a commercial project, just something that has been giving me a migrane since i started, and the problem I am having is quite a frustrating one indeed.
I have 20 labels that are supposed to hold ''skills'' and 20 more that hold their ''skill points''. They make up a so called skill tree which looks roughly like this:

Helmet: Skill1, skill point1; skill2, skillpoint2
Skill3, skill point3; skill4, skillpoint4

Armor: Skill1, skill point1; skill2, skillpoint2

Gloves: Skill1, skill point1; skill2, skillpoint2

Pants: Skill1, skill point1; skill2, skillpoint2

Boots: Skill1, skill point1; skill2, skillpoint2

And I also have 88 skills that can be assigned to those labels, together with a script that automatically assigns a certain ammount of skill points to that specific skill that comes from a selected piece of armor.

Now, what I need to do is write a script that would check when a certain skill in the skill tree has reached the required ammount of skill points once i press a button and assign a ''active skill bonus'' specific to that one skill. So for example if
throughout the whole skill tree, my helmet has a skill called ''HP UP'' with the skill point value of 5, and then my Gloves have the same skill with 5 more points, once I press a button, the script would check the whole tree and once it recognizes that ''HP UP'' has reached 10 skill points, it would return a message with something like ''HP UP has reached 10 points, Double HP has been activated''.

Keeping in mind that a certain piece of armor might have HP UP in its third skill label, and another piece might have it as skill 1.

So far ive tried a lot of different methods, none of them effective. At one point my checking script was over 6000 lines in length. Im very close to the point where i will just take my laptop and frisbee it out the window. And any help or ideas on how to handle this, no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back