Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String Arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWhitehouse

Programmer
Aug 7, 2000
GB
I have got a dynamic array which reads Tags and strings in from a .ini file, How can I read the "Array" Id back only knowing the string, ie:

dim tag$(3)
tag$(1)="ONE"
tag$(2)="TWO"
tag$(3)="THREE"

"THREE"= ???? I want to read back 3 here.

At the moment I am finding the id by using a for loop ie;
for a= 1 to 3
if tag$(a)="ONE" then etc....

this is costly in time when the tag list is huge.
any suggestions appreciated.
Adam

Adam - I'm surprised that in the two and a half years that you've been posting to Tek-Tips that you haven't found any posts helpful, and have been so reticent to try and help others in some of their questions. The beauty of Tek-Tips is that it is a forum where professional can share ideas. This is not a tech support site, and the professionals who contribute do so on their own time. It is a give and take relationship, and works best when everyone does both, give and take.

That being said, I suggest that you take a look at the GetPrivateProfileString API. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Cajun Centurion - I do read other posts, and when I have enough knowledge to be able to help others, I do and will.
I submit to forums on other sites, about different programming languages, and help people who have less knowledge than myself, what goes around ...

I am already using GetPrivateProfileString to read the ini file, this assigns the strings in the ini file into my array, of which I need to find the position in the array.

I glad that you will offer help, and acknowledge help, as that is what Tek-Tips is about. And as you do, your profile will reflect that and that's great.

Perhaps instead of using an array, you might try using a keyed collection, or a dictionary object for your storage, which should provide faster access. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back