Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strict Pragma vs Error Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
My server error logs are picking up all kinds of non initialised variable errors which are not being detected at runtime, despite operating under strict.
Is this normal?

Keith

Quick answer: Yes, that is normal.

Slightly longer answer: Just because your code includes "use strict;", does not mean that the external modules enforce that pragma as well. They can very easily do an explicit "no strict;" for the own scope.

I've attempted to get rid of all of those warnings in the past, but mostly gave up on it as a minor issue.

- M

Thanks
It only came to light when I set a recursive loop goimg and managed to over subscribe my available space. I was most concerned that in the circimstances, the server just froze up. The Error log was a 5.8 gig text file so I suppose I shouidn't b too concerned.

At least the experience taught me how to clear the log file using SSH, so all was not a waste of time.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back