Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streaming webcam live (for remote surveillance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeItSo

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
DE
Hi friends,

I am currently trying to achieve live streaming from a webcam (scope: inTRAnet, not inTERnet) through an ASP.Net website.
What I have achieved so far: using AForge I can display the video from my webcam live on a desktop client (C#) and also save scheduled snapshots, so no problem there.
However I want to be able to also remotely view it.
I created a Silverlight application in hope of achieving this - alas, this accessed the Client webcam, not that of the server... [upsidedown]
Then I tried using MS Expression Encoder but IIS Smooth Streaming is only available in Encoder Pro - which is no longer available. [sad]

Have any of you tried such live video streaming yet and do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Update:
I think I might have thought too complex here.
I'll probably do it like this:
[ul]
[li]use the functioning desktop client to save a snapshot to a pre-defined filename[/li]
[li]setup a simple Web site with an image (the pre-defined snapshot file)[/li]
[li]add a simple "<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1">" to the head[/li]
[/ul]

This will give me at least me live stream of 1 fps, if I manage to avoid read/write clashes. Not perfect, but a viable start. [yinyang]

Still open for any suggestions of course! [wink]

Ta!
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Final update:

meta refresh did not produce very good results and since I actually do not need to reload the entire page, I settled on AJAX and a Timer event server side instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back