Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streaming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hi Folks,

I'm coming up against a challenge with the definition of streams in a policy. A trivial example of the situation I have is as follows:

Say I want to backup the contents of /home on a unix server (NB4.5MP3) HPUX. I've got 5 drives which I want to use and 4 of my users have large amounts of data, but the others do not:

/home/mark - 50 gig
/home/peter - 50 gig
/home/jane - 50 gig
/home/paul - 50 gig
/home/ruth - 1 Meg
/home/john - 1 Meg
/home/matt - 1 Meg
/home/cath - 1 Meg

All these home directories are within the same filesystem (/home) so Auto-Streaming won't help me. I set about writing my file list in the policy to try and make the most of my available drives:

NEW_STREAM
/home/mark - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/peter - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/jane - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/paul - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/ruth - 1 Meg
/home/john - 1 Meg
/home/matt - 1 Meg
/home/cath - 1 Meg

This will work fine for me, but what if I get 100 more users (all with 1 Meg each), I don't want to specify each of them explicitly under the last stream, what I want to have is:

NEW_STREAM
/home/mark - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/peter - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/jane - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/paul - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home - All the other users

However - This doesn't have the desired effect, since what netbackup does with the last stream is to back up /home/mark and friends a second time. See what I'm getting at here folks, is there any clever way of saying for the 4th stream:

NEW_STREAM
"get me stuff in /home that hasn't already been captured by the other streams"

Thoughts on a post-card please!

ooh - and just in case your thinking about platter hammering etc, the real senario I have is on an EMC rig, so I'm not that fussed about giving it a hammering.

Cheers,

Mark Thompson

If this is on an EMC why do you care on the streams? Is your host that slow to backup?

I would suggest the following:
Create 1 class for these:
NEW_STREAM
/home/mark - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/peter - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/jane - 50 gig
NEW_STREAM
/home/paul - 50 gig

Then create a different class and make an exclude list with the following entries: /home/mark, /home/peter, /home/jane, /home/paul
then
NEW_STREAM
/home/*

Cheers Guys!

Am I missing something very obvious here? Is there a way of spanning a single filesystem backup across more than one drive without breaking it down into streams. Auto-streaming won't do this will it?

comtec17 - what do you mean by seperate class? do you mean a seperate policy?

Ta,

Mark

The opposite of multistreaming I guess is what I'm after. Not multiple policies going to a single drive, but a single policy going to multiple drives.

I can't easily split the file-list across more than one policy, because I'm using pre and post script (I'd have to write a clever bit of scripting for one job to see if the others had started).

I was meaning creating a different policy. If you are trying to capture what is left in home then either list all of them in a stream or create a seperate policy and create an exclude list to exclude the other filesystems. You will not be able to capture the "other stuff" in /home without it.

So no way of putting a single filesystem to multiple drives without breaking it down into streams?

I can see why NB works like it does, its kind of to protect users against hammering a disk jumping from platter to platter, but the problem really isn't there when you are talking about SAN storage.

I guess what I'm talking about is kind of multiplexing in reverse (one big pipe into 5 small ones as opposed to 5 small/slow clients to a single big pipe). I guess my data would be scattered across 5 pieces of media (increasing risk).

Am I way off the track here?

You can put a single filesystem to multiple drives by using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. Each filesystem will use a drive.

(Working late tonight aren't we!)

Agreed - each filesystem will use a drive, but if I'm only backing up one filesystem (/home in the example) that doesn't help me.

Ofcourse I could set about splitting the lvol into pieces and re-designing the LUN layout on the rig, but this is a huge parcel of work with significant risk in itself.

Hmmm...

So, lets simplify the example, caus it sounds like I'm missing something obvious:

I have one filesystem (/home) on an emc rig which I want to backup to 4 drives. Can I configure NB for multiple concurrent streams without using file list directives?

Hi guys! One thing about what comtec17 said (sorry about my lack of experience):

"You can put a single filesystem to multiple drives by using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. Each filesystem will use a drive".

I have one policy with the SYSTEM_STATE and ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directives. W2003 client, not multiplexing, it has C:, D: and E: drives, E: is on a Hitachi SAN, and it runs in just one drive (150Gb) taking up to 7 hours to finish, I´m just thinking about multistreaming E:\ drive in the File List tab, but at the moment it just use ONE drive.

What´s wrong? Should it be using more than one just because the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive? I think I´m missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Wait!
Probably because I haven´t checked the "Allow multiple data streams" box in the Attributes Tab?

¿¿!!??!!

I´m sorry... and always learning...

Thanks anyway, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back