Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streaming a video to media player with ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

XgrinderX

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hello!

I have an issue I don't understand. I have a viewer.asp file that I use to stream files from a secure location to the user, giving them the standard Open or Save dialog from the browser. This particular function works fine.

I use the same file to try to stream video to an embedded media player object. Example:
Code:
<object id="MediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" standby="Loading Windows Media Player components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
	<param name="url" value="viewer.asp?f=<%=folder%>&fn=<%=filename%>&ft=<%=filetype%>" />
	<param name="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" value="True">
	<param name="AutoStart" value="True" />
	<param name="PlayCount" value="1" />
	<param name="fullScreen" value="True" />
</object>

What happens is, it connects and starts playing the video with no problem, but it will not download the whole thing. It will just stop anywhere from 4 to 9 minutes into the video. But if I just connect straight to viewer.asp in the address bar of the browser and tell it to save or open the file, it will get the whole file just fine.

Any ideas?

-Greg

The MediaPlayer object is created by the web browser on its host machine.

The object then requests the viewer.asp file from the web server.

You know that viewer.asp is working because if you request it using the browser then everything is fine.

It seems like the problem is likely to be in the object on the browser machine.

If the problem is in the server's script, then it is a slight problem that the browser is able to handle or work around but causes the object to fail. Perhaps there is a timeout?

I was wondering if there was possibly some timeout issue, I set the ScriptTimeout to 30000 so I don't think it is a script timeout. The problem is occurring uniformly on several machines so it doesn't seem to be client specific. By uniformly, I mean it happens on each machine we have tried it on, but the amount of time before it stops varies each try.

I don't know what else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back