Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange zone transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

newifu

MIS
Apr 6, 2004
CA
I have one master DNS server and 2 slave servers. all running on Fedora. After I add a record and change the serial# on a master zone file, the salves zone file serial# get updated, the timestamp is updated, but the rest content of the zone file remain the old version. the new added record is not transfered. has anybody experience this weird problem? I noticed there is a rpmsave folder under master /var/named/chroot/var/named and it keeps some old version zone files, but the serial# are also old. Could it be possible the salves get the serial# from new zone file but the other content from the rpmsave folder?

Thanks.

I figure it out. It actually updated but it doesn't just copy the master zone file but I think it copies a running instance from master. The records are sorted, comments are removed, etc

Yes, it is always normalized in a standard format. When you test, you always should check for the last change to see both the secondary "sees it" and it appears in the transferred file. Well actually, if I see the SOA update and the last change is there, I pretty much assume that the change is in the transferred file.

The normalized form is also easier for scripts to parse, I use it to compare DNS records from 2 sources and I use it to upload into LDAP for a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back