Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Word problems.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGillespie

Instructor
Jul 3, 2001
GB
i have recently upgraded my network to Windows XP running Office XP. I am now experiencing some strange problems.

1) Full justification in Word causes (sometimes) very strange results. It inserts spaces between the first letter of a word and the rest of the word so for example the sentence:

All is not well in the state of Denmark

might end up as:

A ll is n ot well in t he state of D enmark

these spaces are present only on printed output, they are not true space charaters.
I have tried this on various printers with differnet printer drivers - any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

2) Bringing up the Header/Footer toolbar seems to cause some screen corruption, in that when you close the toolbar its image stays on screen. the document underneath is unaffected but it is annoying. Again this problem has manifested itself on various hardware (not all the same make or model of video card & driver). Again any thoughts greatly appreciated. Jamie Gillespie
j-gillespie@s-cheshire.ac.uk

Hi, Jamie!

For the corruption part, I would suggest you rename or delete Normal.dot.

Also clean your PC. More info on cleaning your PC at

As far as your printing problems are concerned:

Go to Tools, Options, Compatability tab and check "Do full
justification like WordPerfect 6.x"

If that doesn't work, not sure if this will cure it but......

Under Settings, Printers, right click a printer, choose Properties, under the General tab click Printing Preferences. If there is an option for "Print Text as Graphics" turn it On.

This is happening on freshly built machines, onto which the students have not logged into before. The Normal.dot file is not getting a chance to get corrupted, otherwise i would agreed you.

Have already done the Wordperfect justify thing to no avail....

have also tried the text as graphics thing....

Have just discovered that the printing thing only occurs in specific fonts at specific sizes.....go figure.

Have also discovered that the screen corruption problem SEEMS to disappear if i change TOOLS/OPTIONS/Windows in Taskbar to false. Jamie Gillespie

The white space in Word is a significant problem we are having. I am about to try all of the updates issued by MS for Office and will let you know if this sorts it at all!

By the by, this is NOT due to a corrupt normal.dot - it is an issue with Word XP

Okay, I have now undertaken th updates to no avail. However, we did then re-install a new printer driver and this seems to have done the trick!

It would seem that the fault lies with an existing Windows XP driver and the new Office suite.

I have a few more computers to test this on but it is the best result so far!

Thanks gazzanewpy,

out of interest what printers were you having the problem with? My problem after further investigation seems to be limited to new HP 4100 laserjets running from a windows 2000 print server. i have tried various drivers on the printserver to no avail, but will try again following your success. will keep you posted.
Jamie Gillespie

We are using an HP2100 laser. Do replace your 2000 Server driver with the very latest XP driver. Unless you are running any Windows 2000 clients or do lots of printing from the server, you should not encounter any issues with the install but should resolve your problem - hopefully!

Often this is cause because Word will use the fonts built into the printer, but the printer doesn't understand the full justification properly. Disabling the Printer Fonts should fix this issue for all computers.

How do you disable the printer fonts? Don't know - each printer has it's own ways, and some you can't disable them at all - every printer is different.

STeve

Okay,Ihave now tried the printer drivers on the DJ1200 and this did NOT solve the problem.However,I also located a communication patch by HP for the 1200/1220/2200/2220 and this fixed it.

The fault lies with HPs and thefixes are withHP.If not,give thema call!

So,some good news at last!

Been away for a while sorry,

Previous to my network upgrade i was already running XP clients that were printing directly to my HP 4100n printers without a print server (printing to an IP address). These machines had the latest XP drivers installed downloaded from HP not from the XP driver cache. The problem was still present.

Where did you find the patches for your printer? coulnt seem to see anything for 4100!

Jamie Gillespie

I started at and then selected UK. Then simply followed the steps to the updated drivers, in thelist was the Comms update.

We are printing to a 4100 without any issues atall, but are usingthe 2000 Server drivers (stored on the 2000 Server). Why not use one of your servers as a print server and then the issue ofthe driver becomes a one-system problem?

Am already using a 2000 print server (with the 2000 server drivers) and this is showing the problem. Out of interest what date and version are the drivers on your 2000 server?

Jamie Gillespie

Hi, Jamie!

You have probably experimented quite a lot and as such this may be for not:

Are you using PCL6 by any chance? And have you tried PCL5?

Yes to both, but have just installed a new PCL6 driver from HP website so will have to wait and see what happens!!! Jamie Gillespie

I've been experiencing the same problem and here's what fixed it for us:

Start/Seetings/Printers/Properties/Printing Preferences/Advanced/ - under "Graphic"

change "True Type Font - Substitute with Device Font"
to
"True Type Font - Download as Softfont"

HTH

Joanne

I had the same problem. Word XP and Windows XP with the HP 4000 Drives available in Windows XP. Both 4000 drivers available with Widows XP have different issues. The PCL 6 driver would not allow us to print to tray 3 (additional tray). The plain pcl driver caused the spacing problem you described when full justification is on. Try going to HP's website and downloading their pcl 5e driver for the 4000 series printer. It will resolved all the above mentioned issues.

Hey, I'm a member of the helpdesk from BAE Systems and I had the same problem. the solution posted by Joanne (jzorech) worked for me and I just wanted to say thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back