Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange virus on machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidabiri

Programmer
Sep 30, 2005
US
hi,
i recently installed win-xp on my machine. after installation (a few days later). i keep getting these strange pop ups that looks like coming from windoes:
"your system is infected. visit registryalert.com" or regfix.com or regfixer.com" the last message says that windows will shut down in 30 seconds, and shuts my system down. is there anyway i can get rid of this? is this coming from windows? or ms-new anti spy? any help would be appreciated.

is this coming from windows? or ms-new anti spy?

My bet is neither - it sounds more like spyware or those annoying advertising things that pop up via the messenger service to me.

Disable your messenger service (at least I think that is what it is called), and run something like seahc-and-destroy.

For more information, I suggest taking this to the Virus/Spyware discussion forum:

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

I agree, but have a couple more questions - what SP level of XP is this & is the native firewall enabled?

I agree with BillyRayPreachersSon, I believe its the messenger service. Now as for your system shutting down that sounds like either sasser or blaster worm.

(msblaster patch)

(sasser patch)

Also as soon as you get these installed and machine back to normal if this helps i reccomend downloading all updates/patches/service packs for the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back