Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange User Security Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

egolds

MIS
Aug 29, 2001
US
I just added a user set up all the security everything works fine except for one item: The settings for Modified reports do not hold. I set up the access to the modified reports everything works fine then a day or so later the user calls me and says the reports have reverted to the originals not the modified reports. On looking up the security...sure enough...none of the modified reports are selected. I re-select them, save the settings (I double checked this as it will stay for a little while), and a day or so later they are unselected.

Any Thoughts?

Could someone be changing the security at the class level and rolling the changes down to the user? That would overwrite any changes you've made at the user level...

We are not using classes. At least we weren't until I added a class to trouble shoot this. Added the security at the class level and put the user in the class. That didn't work either.

The record for that user may be corrupt, you could try creating a new user and then delete the old user ID see if this problem persists.

I have the very same issue with a user. Have you been able to correct the problem. I deleted her user profile, created a new one and the same problem occurs. Any news?

What type of environment are you in. Citrix, Terminal Service, Standalone? What version of great Plains.

Are all of the users connecting to one machine or multiple machines that have Great Plains installed on them?

Use Advanced Security to control security and use the verify feature to check the security records for a user.

Advanced Security for v7.0 can be downloaded for free. For v7.5 onwards it is installed from the CD.

As already mentioned, these issues are normally caused by class security overwriting user security. With Advanced Security this is not an issue as Advanced Security automatically rolls down the specific changes made to a class while leaving the rest of the user level security alone (unless you specifically ask for a rolldown).

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
Asia Pacific Professional Services

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@nospam-microsoft.com

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.

We had problems with the user security and modified forms. The verify seemed to work; however, when you ran it again the same forms were missing. We enabled unregistered modules in the options, ran the verify, fixed all then disabled the unregistered modules. User security works a lot better now. The revert option would not apply the changes properly until the verify worked correctly.

Hope this helps someone.

I know we run into a similar problem where we have users randomly losing permission to an alternate window (in our case Wennsoft).

Just to establish our environment, we are running GP v7.5, SQL 2000, and Citrix terminal sessions for our 100+ end users in various offices/countries. All security is done as classes, not user.

The window we run into is used by about 6 users who belong to 2 classes. They may be using it in the morning just fine then log out and go for lunch. After lunch, they log in, and they have the original GP window instead of the Wennsoft alternate version they should. I look at the class in Advanced Security and it still says Wennsoft. There is actually 3 windows that get reset at the same time when this occurs. If I manually set the permission to the GP version it says '3 changes pending'. I apply, then select the Wennsoft windows again and it says '15 changes pending'. I have also looked at the user security on these windows (before doing the reset described above) and even though the class says Wennsoft, 4 of the 5 users in the one class show GP version as their permissions.

This has been ongoing for a while now through various service packs and patches for both GP and Wennsoft. We've almost given up on trying to fix the cause and just are getting very efficient at doing the reset.

Help!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back