Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange USB Mouse Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LF28

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
DE
Hi Folks,

I upgraded to a new system lately.

System
CPU: AMD 5200+
BOARD: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
GFX: nVidia 8800 GTS
SYS: XP

Devices
USB: Mouse, Printer
PS2: Keyboard

using my old trusty Hama Gamer Mouse (5 Buttons, nothing fancy).
The mouse works fine except for the wheel. The wheel is recognized as Button 3 (I can click it and windows responds), but I cannot scroll using the wheel. Everything ought to be set up correctly (drivers and all).
The strange thing is, when I unplug and replug the mouse, regardless which USB port, the wheel works again. Now having to replug the mouse everytime windows starts sucks.
Does anyone have a clue whats going on here?

Thanks.

Try doing a windows update or search for a new driver.
To me, it sounds like there could be some sort to hardware conflict. Maybe, for example, the motherboard and something else clashing, its happened to me before.

Hi timoteius,

thanks for answering. My XP is updated to the latest patch. A mouse driver is actually not neccessary, since I have a HID compliant mouse. Nevertheless I am using the driver and whatever software came with the mouse. And if it were a driver issue, how come it works perfectly once I unplug and replug the mouse? I guess there is something wrong with the usb controller on my board. You mentioned something like "clashing". Do you have any details to share on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back