Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange UDP packets being sent out to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2002
US
I have noticed this behaviour in the firewall logs.The machine is a windows 2000 professional behind a firewall.
Very regularly, it sends out a UDP packet to an external address on the internet like this --> internalIP:port1027 destination externalIP:port 161; the packets are always the same size.I understand SNMP uses this port , but after looking up the external IP in whois, I see no reason at all that the win2k machine should be doing this. In the meantime, I have scanned this machine for trojan programs, which turned up negative.Also, I have blocked these packets at the firewall so they are being dropped and I do not notice any other suspicious traffic to or from this machine to the internet .

The behavior you see is as if an SNMP agent is sending a trap to a SNMP console.

If connection always starts from 1027/UDP (a registered port 1024-65535), probably there is an application installed there.

After checking port numbers in IANA

You can check that port 1027/UDP is associated to the File Sharing Application EXOSEE.

Try Fport to see which application is associated to each port (
I hope this help.

bbandolero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back