Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange text/changing color behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpiamchris

Technical User
Sep 21, 2008
So just two quick questions regarding illustrator:

1) When I click on the text tool, and then click on the workspace and try to type something out, nothing happens. The font/color/etc are all correct (to the best of my knowledge..) but it just kinda does nothing... the blinker doesn't move forward which indicates nothing is being typed.

2) this is probably related to the last question but when i try to draw a line, the foreground and background color revert to (no color). Even when i manually change them to a color, they change back to no color..

:banghead:

the video is kinda messed up for some reason, but you can still kinda see what i mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8AADAEMSI

...the line tool issue might be a bug in illustrator which appears to occur AFTER you have used the text tool. Now it could be a bug or in fact it could be something Adobe intended...

...if you use the line tool BEFORE the text tool then this appears to not occur, but as soon as you use the text tool and then use the line tool again it reverts to no stroke applied...

...this is an annoyance and I haven't found a solution to this other than by hitting the D key before using the line tool...

...in your video you change the fill color on the line tool, which has no effect, you need to change the stroke color instead...

...the text issue you point out doesn't occur on my mac, so for that i would try resetting your preferences on startup of illustrator to see if that gets fixed:

With Illustrator CS and later, it is also possible to delete the preferences by holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT(Win)/Shift+Option+Command(Mac) whilst starting the application and responding 'Yes' when prompted.

Illustrator preferences are stored in the file Aiprefs. This file has no file extension, is a hidden file, and its location is dependent upon the operating system version.

Windows:

To locate the file from Windows Explorer it is necessary to set Explorer Folder options > View to "View Hidden Files and Folders"

Under Win XP and Win 2K, the file will be located in:

%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator[Version][Settings-(CS/CS2)].

Mac OSX:

Users>~username>Library>Preferences>Adobe Illustrator CS Settings>Adobe Illustrator Prefs

...for vista:

1. Quit Illustrator.
2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder.
3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back