Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange symbols in DKT 2120 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringydingy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2010
US
Every few weeks I get a report from a user that he/she has, in addition to the nromally programmed display of time/date/company/name/ext, there is a strange symbol in the lower left display of their Tadiran DKT2120 phone. Sometimes it is a 0, % sysmbol, or some other symbol. Unplugging and plugging the phone usually takes care of it but sometimes it goes away on it's own.
The phones were purchased circa 1997/1998. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Maybe the phones are just getting old?

I suspect on of three things:
1. LCD is failing
2. Phone itself is failing
3. Cabling is faulty

If it's not causing any problems other than a character appearing on the screen I wouldn't worry about it.

Swap the phone with someone else. If the fault moves with the phone then you rule out the cabling and it's the phone or LCD. If the fault stays then it's a cable fault.

If it's the LCD/phone you could get it repaired but you're probably better off getting a new one. Things fail over time - but 10+ years for a product is pretty good (can't be said for a lot of consumer electronics these days).

Without further testing you can't rule out a cable faulty. There may be damage on the pair somewhere between the phone and the Coral. If you find it is the cable, try changing the pair.

Switching the phone or unplugging the basecord/plugging the same phone back in takes care of the problem. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back