Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Shutdowns, Somewhat Urgent Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWild

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM"

Then it gives her about 10 seconds before the PC shutsdown, and it's done this twice in the past 5 minutes.

-This comes from my girlfriend, she's at her job and I'm at mine, and this error message has popped up on her machine twice already. What can be the problem?

Any ideas?

It could also be the new sasser worms and variants.

Make sure that you patch the pc with the latest patches in particular MS04-011 (WindowsXP-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE) which fixed the problem with pc shuting down.

Also run av software on the machine with updated definition files.

It is likely a virus as SjrH mentioned. You need to clean it off AND apply the latest patches from Micro$oft or the virus will come right back.

One trick that will help, when it starts to shut down on you, go to Start -> Run and type "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and click Ok. This will abort the shutdown sequence.

It is almost assuredly either Blaster or Sasser.
See: thread616-821514

The advice by OzCDN is a good one:
Start, Run, shutdown -a
This will abort the shutdown so that you can download and apply the necessary cleanup and prevention Hotfixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back