Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman4000000

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I tried to install an older program called moviejack2 - it works on my other PC with XP and I have since learned that it wont install with service pack 2. The machine I tried to install on is XP Pro with service pack 2.

During install, the machine froze and I had to manually reset. On reboot, it says "detected new harware" and proceeded to reinstall the DVD drive and SCSI. I actually cancelled these installs and instead did a system restore to the previous day and all seemed to be fine. However, yesterday I installed flight simulator x and it took literally about 3 hours - the files just seemed to be copying very slowly from the DVD.

As a test, I then tried to install Quake 4 (which was previously installed) - I put the DVD in and the menu came up - clicked install and got an error that I was missing MSVCR80.dll (I think). Did a search and found this file in several other directories so copied to system 32. Finally, when I clicked on install for quake 4 it gives a different error message - something about the C++ runtime library.

Did a registry clean, disk check, spyware, virus etc etc - also reinstalled the DVD drivers.

Any ideas what I could do (hopefully not a fresh XP install lol).

Many thanks,

ICE

Overview

vbrun60sp6.exe is a self-extracting executable file that installs versions of the Microsoft Visual Basic run-time files required by all applications created with Visual Basic 6.0. The files include the fixes shipped with Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0.

For your DVD drive, check that DMA Mode and not PIO mode is in use for the device:

Open the Device Manager. One way to do that is to right-click on "My Computer", select the Hardware tab, and selectDevice Manager.

Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and double-click on "Primary IDE Channel".
Under the "Advanced Settings" tab, check the "Device 1" setting. More than likely, your current transfer mode is set to PIO.

Set it to "DMA if available".

Repeat the step for the "Secondary IDE Channel" if you have devices attached to it. Reboot.

Thanks very much for the advice - I'll try it as soon as I get home and let you know...

ICE

Just out of interest - any idea why my runtime library thing went wrong in the first place when in the past Quake 4 for example would have installed with no problem....?

ICE

Here is some interesting READ on the Subject...

Excerpt:
Hello everyone,

My name's Martyn Lovell, and I'm the development lead of the team that produces msvcr80.dll [The Visual C++ Libraries team]. This thread contains a number of innaccuracies that I'd like to correct.

First, Norton WinDoctor is wrong. It incorrectly reports that msvcr80 is missing when in fact it is correctly installed in the WinSxS directly in the windows. folder. If you own WinDoctor, you should report this bug to them so that they get it fixed.

Second, this website ( is definitely not the right place to get msvcr80.dll. You should get your copy of msvcr80.dll from the same place that you got the application that uses it. msvcr80.dll is distributed with applications.

Third, that website actually has a beta 2 copy of msvcr80.dll, which won't work for the released versions of the .NET runtime and may cause problems if used. If you have this copy on your system, you should remove it.

Fourth, you should not put msvcr80.dll in Anyway, I downloaded the file and put it in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. The DLL does not belong in there, and may cause problems if used from that location.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions, as I don't read this forum regularly.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries
martynl.TakeThisOut@microsoft.com

and

Hi everyone.

Let me clarify some things

a) Do NOT copy msvcr80, msvcp80 or msvcm80 to system32, or to the framework directory, or to the VS directory. They do not belong in any of those places.

b) If you've already put the files in these places, please delete them.

c) You can safely tell WinDoctor to ignore this problem. You could also let Symantec know about the problem.

d) If you're working with Microsoft support and not getting a clear answer, have them talk to me.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions, as I don't read this forum regularly.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries
martynl.RemoveThis@microsoft.com

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for the replies...

The problem with the .dll file was all down to Windows Defender!! Uninstalled and it's all ok - quake 4 installs no problem. I've since heard that windows defender is affecting several other installs.

As for the DVD - you were right, it was on PIO but wouldn't change to DMA so I reinstalled the IDE Channels.

Now on Ultra DMA and all seems good - is it right that I have two Primary IDE channels and also two Secondary IDE channels...?

Thanks again,

ICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back