Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problems KX-TA624 / KX-TVS50

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcowscarnival

Technical User
Oct 3, 2014
US
I have a series of strange problems with our company phone system that started with a power outage over a weekend several weeks ago. We came in Monday to find none of the phones functioning and the power light on the 624 slowly blinking. I turned the power off, waited 60 sec or so, turned it back on and mostly things started working again. However, I had several problems crop up.

1. Some extensions would not dial other extensions with the assigned buttons or direct number dialing (say 105 could not dial 107 and 109, but COULD dial everyone else; while 107 COULD dial 105 but could not dial several others). To remedy this, I went through and reprogrammed all phones to an extension +20 (i.e. jack 02 goes from extension 102 to 122) and reset buttons on phones to the new extension (though some automatically "migrated" - perhaps based on jack number?). We have a total of 16 jacks so it wasn't too difficult. This includes voicemail extensions 115, 116 to 135, 136 because if you dialed 115/116 it would give you a "busy" signal

2. The message waiting lights no longer function on any phones. When trying to to program the button to dial 135 or 136, it does not accept the programming. We can manually dial voicemail to check messages however.

3. The "Page all extensions - 330" no longer functions. It did before whatever happened, but not after. Even after reprogramming all extensions to new numbers, this page does not work, just a busy signal (independent if any users are on a line). The page all extensions/speakers (36* or whatever) does work in the same manner as 330 - clearly something happened to the page all function.

4. The steps we were previously able to set up mailboxes at individual extensions no longer work in that manner (though I found a work around)

So, are these seemingly disconnected events indicative of a particular error in hardware/software? Is there a simply remedy? I do not have the ability to connect a computer to the system (though I hear there is the possibility of terminal emulation software at least for the TVS50). I do the 624 system programming through extension 101 (which by the way I did NOT change as the rest of them in item 1). The TVS50 apparently can not be programmed through a phone in the system (which is too bad really).

Clearly, I am not a programmer/professional with indepth knowledge of the system (or any other for that matter). However, please respond as though you would be giving instructions to a professional technician. I do have all of the literature on the systems and can follow the various programming steps as necessary. Occasionally I do think about getting the appropriate hardware to connect an actual machine to the boxes, but nothing yet.

An addition to the above. Just today, after writing this post I attempted to call extension 101 by dialing. All I get is a busy signal. Oddly though, the DSS button assigned to it will ring it through. Check half of the rest of the phones, also no dialing to 101, but if they had a button assigned, it would work.

I know it sounds like a bunch of monkeys running this zoo, however, its just me. This is a very small office that has gone through significant physical remodeling. We used to just bellow back and forth when a call came in. After I came across the manuals after looking for literally years, I finally found them and am trying to straighten this mess up on top of being a Civil Engineer (and using the eng-tips.com forum often).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back