Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Problem with Load Balanced FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpreston

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
GB
I have two servers running W2KAdv, with IIS5.0.

These servers are running under network load balancing, sharing ip address X to provide fault tolerance. The two servers, A and B, have local ip addresses Y and Z, respectively.

I need to make a change to the FTP configuration, so I've taken server B out of load balancing leaving the remaining server A to deal with live transactions. However, I'm now seeing something I don't understand.

If I now try to FTP to the local IP address Z of server B, it doesn't work. Using DOS FTP I get the message :

User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

So, I tried the same on the local IP address Y on server A to make sure that was still OK, but I get the same problem.

However, if I FTP to server A using exactly the same username and password, but to the load-balanced IP address X, that works.

So, my security/permissions work when using FTP to the load-balanced IP address, but fail when using FTP to either of the local IP addresses.

I'm a bit stumped here. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can spot the problem.

TIA.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back