Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem with Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarAche

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
US
Greetings.

Last week my laptop which is running XP pro on a WiFi suddenly lost browsing capability. I reboot the machine and its works fine for about 10 minutes, then I loose browsing again. I downloaded Mozilla Firebird to see if it was an IE deal, and it does it with Mozilla aswell.
What happens is, for example, I will start up IE and the home page will load real fast. As its loading, at the bottom left of the screen it shows the URL that is loading.
After about 10 minutes, I get the 440, white error screen so familiar in IE if I try to go anywhere on the internet.
Also, when this happens, that same area at the bottom left will not show the URL loading, but will show the IP instead.

Meaning, when I load any page, it shows the text/URL of that page, when it goes tits up, it will not show the URL, but the IP only that its trying to load. I dont know if that has anything to do with it but something I noticed.

I tried updating to SP2 and it didnt fix anything as far as this strange deal. I have scanned for viruses and also spy/mal-ware. Its is a very strange bug. I have never seen anything like this before. Its not a heat issue either, because I can do a quick reboot and it works perfect..once again for about 10 minutes, then it stops being able to browse.

I can go to the console and ping anything just fine. I can do windows updates, McAfee and other updates just fine when this issue happens, I just can't browse to any web pages on the internet with either IE or Mozilla when this happens.

Very strange. Anyone have any ideas to try?
I did delete all the cookies and related stuff as one of the attempted fixes. Nothing yet.

Thanks.

Is this a wireless or wired connection?

On its face, it sounds like a bad LSP entry. See the notes, with particular attention to Service Pack 2 notes, in faq779-4625

Thanks.

I tried the download file and the command line fix aswell.

Same thing is still happening. Now, I think it happens after 5 mins.

I can reboot and all is fine, for about 5 mins.

Rather sucks.

Tried the Re-reg'ing of the Dll's and the new user.
Same crap.
I also disabled the wireless and plugged in the Cat5. same thing. Go figure.

Im about to nuke it and reinstall with 2000.

In the event viewer, I am seeing this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8033
Date: 10/30/2004
Time: 11:12:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LAPDANCE
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{589187F0-3E97-40AD-A8D7-F19958674F5C}
because a master browser was stopped.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

OR

wuauclt (1348) The database engine stopped.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Any hints on this stuff?

Control Panel, Network Adapters, highlight your wireless adapter and right-click for Properties.
Configure button.
Disable the use of 802,1x authentication.

"Control Panel, Network Adapters, highlight your wireless adapter and right-click for Properties.
Configure button.
Disable the use of 802,1x authentication."

Thanks but I dont have that option. Plus it does it with a cat5 connection aswell.

Any one else have any other hints as this is driving me nuts!

What McAfee programs and other Security programs or firewalls are you running?

Often you see posts with strange problems being resolved by correcting a conflict caused by these type of programs.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

xp drops wireless then reconnects
thread779-941706

Man, I'm dying to see the solution to this. I have the exact same issue, right down to trying Mozilla. I can ping the outside world and get (OE) email, but the browser craps out and I have to reboot one or more times. One thing I haven't tried is uninstalling Norton Pers. Firewall. I replaced Zone Alarm (free version) with it last month.

Norton was the problem. Zone Alarm works fine. This is on a Toshiba laptop which also gave me a problem when I loaded Roxio EZ CD Creator. It stopped seeing the CD burner at that time. Had to do a system restore. Same thing with MS Streets & Trips 2005.

ttabb: this isn't one of those "published" Toshiba's with a factory memory problem?

I don't know. Is that on Toshiba's website? It's a low end consumer model I bought last February.

Thanks, micker377. I checked it out and it is not one of the affected models. I attribute the sw problems to being a quirk of this low end model since I've not seen the same thing on my Dell desktop systems. I bought this laptop to avoid doing any personal work with my business laptop. It's nothing I can't live with once I understand the limitations, just a minor irritation in the posterior.[thumbsup2]

Are you using a Linksys Wireless 54G router? B/c i'm having the same exact problem and it seem like its the router.

No. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 into which I've plugged Belkin WAP (802.11b) and I have a Belkin 802.11b card in the Toshiba. Kind of a kluged setup, I admit, but has worked fine for my needs for years.

I am new to this forum, but I am replying because I had the exactly the same problem and solved it today.

In my case, the only thing i had to do was installing zonealarm and turn the windows firewall off. There seems to be a conflict between the Windows Firewall and another program.

Best regards,

Maryn Vervoorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back