Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem with dbc file

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanzieV

Programmer
Apr 8, 2003
BE
Hi all,

I've got this very strange but most annoying problem. Sometimes, when a user launches my application, the following error message appears:

Memo file "c:\m project\data\m project.dct" is missing or invalid

However, I can open the same database with a vfp tool without any problems. And once opened and closed again with the vfp tool, the program launches without problems !
Now, I don't know yet what triggers the error. Like I said, the error only occurs sometimes. Mostly the program launches without problems.

The program runs in about 100 shops for a few years now and I never had this problem before. It started when I installed an new executable of the program, but I did not make any changes to the database in that executable.

The program line that generates the error is: open database "m project" shared.

Both program and dabase are located on the same computer, so it is not a network problem.

Any ideas ??

Greetz,
Hans

Hans,

Yes, this is strange.

My guess is that it is some sort of memo file corruption, or possibly a locking issue -- not specifically related to the fact of it being a DBC (the DBT holds the memo text for the DBC).

Check faq184-5641. It might give you some clues.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply. I had read the article in the microsoft knowledgebase and indeed my problem has nothing to do with it as my application and database are on the same computer. It is possible that the problem is invoked by a system crash or other, but why now ? As the program runs in more than a 100 shops I can't imagine that none of them has had a system crash in the past ...

You also might try doing a Clean Up Database and a VALIDATE DATABASE RECOVER. Not necessarily a fix for a corrupt memo, but can fix certain problems that may in some way be related to your problem.

The above suggestion is assuming that this problem is occuring at a single user site and not a systemic problem of the application at all sites.

boyd.gif

SweetPotato Software Website
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back