Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange printer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrix

Technical User
Jun 11, 2000
US
Hey TTFers,I have a Toshiba satellite pro laptop and just got a HP 845c printer. I install the drivers and the printer works just fine. But when I shutdown and reboot later and try to print I get an error message that says "there was an error writing to usb /deskjet 845c_/th1771d6nosx for the printer/ the printer is not ready make sure it is turned on". It's on. The laptop only has usb so no other option. If I uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it, it works fine again. There has never been a printer installed on this pc before. I tried another usb cable, nothing. I tested the printer on my pc and it works fine. What could this be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx Ed

According to PCC Mechanic (CNET.com)
"You may have a Via USB host controller chip that's incompatible with your HP DeskJet 990Cse printer.

To see if you do, open Windows' Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller entry. If you see an entry for a Via USB host controller, such as "VIA VT 83C572NT 82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller," you have this problematic chip. One workaround: Download a patch labeled USB Filter Driver from CNET Download.com.

Hope it works. If not, post your model number of your laptop and will see if there is anything from Toshiba... The test continues...

Thanx Pudda, I really can't figure this out. It's a Toshiba 465CDX laptop and a Hewllet Packard deskjet 845c. I did read about an NEC chip that had a problem but I don't no if it applies here. Checked out the the usb in device manager it says "NEC open host controller=E-5-E11 Display + Chips + Tech - 65554 PCI" I'll check out the link you gave me also and get back to you. Thanx allot Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back