Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange pcAnywhere connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinRam

MIS
Jan 2, 2001
Friends...

I have a strange issue with my pcAnywhere connection. I connect to my home PC from my laptop. I started having this problem recently that makes me think some update patch caused it. Either a MS patch or perhaps a Symantec liveupdate for pcAnywhere.

It is pcAnywhere 11

This is what happens:

When I launch the remote to connect to the host, I see it say “waiting” then “connecting” like it should, but the logon prompt does not come up. The connection box usually disappears at this point and the logon prompt comes up. The connection box does disappear as always… but no logon prompt. If I try to connect again right away, it says that the host is busy.

I tried re-installing it. I have been using pcAnywhere for many years. I tried connecting from the internet (correct ports open) and even from the inside of the network. Exact same results.

Any clues?

Thanks

Suspect video issue, try lowering the resolution, have you swapped out the monitor at home recently?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I am having a similar problem - have been using pcAnywhere for years - but today - when I went to connect to a host using TCP/IP - I received a new dialog box(looks like a new pcAnywhere GUI window I have never seen before) - which says the following :

Scanning the network for TCP/IP Hosts

then after a few minutes it shows "waiting for selection"

Note: there are colored icons in the dialog box for AVAILABLE, BUSY, IN CONFERENCE, UNKNOWN -

It looks like the GUI window is waiting for me to select a host to connect to - but there are NO hosts shown -

I am using a Win2K Pro machine with pcAnywhere v10.5 to connect to another Win2K Pro machine running pcAnywhere 11.0 -

suspect either a patch issue (Win2K or Symantec LiveUpdate) - both of which have been installed recently - or some other problem, perhaps with the remote machine (i.e. mal-ware, virus, etc.) - as I am 99% sure that the machine I am trying to connect FROM is clean of mal-ware.

This post seemed to be the closest thing I could find to this issue.

Thanks

What you described usually happens when you don't have an address entered. It will then broadcast for hosts and ask you to pick one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back