Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Numbers on the pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericD

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
US
I have a LAN with an HP 8550DN online. On one of my computers, I get a number 12 or 16 printed on every page this computer sends to the printer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled JetDirect and the printer drivers, no help. Doesn't do this with any other PCs on the LAN. Any ideas?

ericD -

Is it with a particular program? I've seen some people screw up their normal.dot template before, which creates some funky things (like those numbers) - and, I've also seen co-workers screw around with other peoples workstations and create /h+ footers & headers (which you won't see until you print). Darn pranksters. :)

I would suggest (if this is problem is with MS Word) do a find --> normal.dot

You'll see one or two. Delete both (or rename to normal.not hehehe) MS Word auto creates these the next time Word is opened. Actually, it's good to do this about every 6 months or so for maintenance.

Should be good to go after that. If not, post your follow up. I try to be further help.

nope...didn't appear in normal. Any other suggestions>?

Whereabouts on the page does this print? Another suggestion: Run a Windows test page; it will give you a list of files near the bottom, most of which will start with the same 3 or 4 characters. Search for a .INI file with this same 3 or 4 characters. Uninstall the drivers, delete this file, then reinstall.

Hope this helps.

upper left corner of the page, just outside the printed area of the page. If it's two-sided, the numbers appear on the backside of the page. Kinda wierd, always the same thing...a 12A or 16A in a Courier font type. I'll try some Windows test pages, but I know it's on this one computer, 'cause none of the others on the LAN have this problem. Thanks!

I would try deleting the Courier font all together (Control Panel --> Fonts Folder. Go to a PC where you know the font works properly, copy to the network. Go back to trouble PC, copy the font down. Go back to Control Panel --> Fonts --> File --> Install new font.

Navigate to where you just copied the Courier Font & re-install it.

Could be the font itself became corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back