Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Network Problem... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerCop911

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
CA
I recently re-formatted my brothers WinME computer and re-installed WinME, because he complained it was slow. I reformatted it, and it is fast again, but it cannot connect to our home network. It can go on the Internet and stuff...I am typing this from his computer...

It just says Unable to browse network when I go to Network Neighbourhood/My Network Places and click Entire Network.....

It cant share files OR printers. File/printer sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled, and so is the button in Network settings with the 2 checkboxes ("I would like to allow access to my files and printers")

Any ideas??

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer

Primary Network Logon is Client for MS Networks (?)
File and Printer sharing : a Browse Master in the network (?)

I know that this might seem obvious, but did you try:

1) Making sure the workgroup name matches on all networked PC's?

2) Going to Start->Run and typing \\Computername (where Computername is the network name of another PC)?

How are they connected? Router, hub, crossover cable?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Sorry I took so long to reply...

Workgroup name is the same.

Tried going to Start-->Run and typing \\ then a computer name but no go.

The WinME computer is connected by Wireless Adapter to an SMC Wireless Router. The Wireless features are turned on and are working, because the internet works on it....just no internal connection. And it worked before, and the settings havent changed...reloaded WinME, and just typed in the SAME network settings....no go. I tried changing the computer name and the workgroup on all computers...no go.

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

OK, what happens when you ping the IP address of another networked PC from the WinME PC? Do you get a reply?

I'm starting to suspect that you have a firewall issue, either on the WinME PC, or one of the other PC's sharing resources. If you have Zonealarm or similar software running, disable it temporarily. If you have XP on any of the PC's, make sure its built-in firewall is turned off. If you have more than 2 PC's networked, see if the other 2 PC's can share files amongst each other.

When it comes to networking, we need all the info we can get! Try giving us this info as well:

1) IP addresses of all networked PC's
2) Specific DHCP settings in the Router
3) # of PC's and their OS
4) Brand/Version of Software Firewall if any on each PC

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I can ping my XP computer from the ME computer...Havent tried pinging the laptop, but I get all 3 replies from the XP computer. XP's firewall is off.

Router:
Gateway IP: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Address Pool: 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.100

Computer One:
IP: 192.168.2.2
*Connected to router which is connected to cable modem. This is the "main computer"*

Computer Two:
IP: Set to Auto-detect, but usually uses 192.168.2.3
*This is the WinME computer with the problem. Connects through a Wireless card*

Computer Three:
IP: Set to auto, but usually 192.168.2.4
*Laptop which I don't use much. Connects through a wireless card*

NO FIREWALLS ARE PRESENT ON COMPUTERS. THERE IS ONE HARDWARE FIREWALL IN THE ROUTER.

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

If the XP and 2000 PC's can share with each other just fine, then it must be a setting within ME.

Make sure you're not entering a username or password when you boot up the ME PC. If you are, see this article on how to get rid of it:
faq615-1553

Then try to remove all network components (Client for MS Networks, TCP/IP, and File & Printer Sharing), reboot, re-add them, and reboot again. Sometimes just the process of rebooting several times can kick-start the sharing process. But if not, hopefully removing and readding the components will. Don't forget to try rebooting both the XP and 2000 PC once or twice as well.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Ok, I just tried to share a folder on the WinME computer, and the Sharing tab is MISSING!!

ComputerCop911

Found a link to a Microsoft Support Article on one of the sites that wawadave listed.

Thanks wawadave! Have a Star!

ComputerCop911

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back