Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange network behavior 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRetro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
CA
Hi all
I have a new issue that has been popping up on one of my servers more frequently and am at a loss as to what is causing it.
Our PDC loses its mapped drives for approx 20 minutes about once a week. When you dbl click the share in my computer it will say...unable to connect to h: the requested resource is in use. I can ping the server in question, I can terminal into it but I cant hit the share through my computer or through network neighbourhood (cant even open the browse list). Subsequently I can from a remote subnet (terminal into a bdc) browse back to my network and see all the machines but cannot hit the PDC.
If anyone has any idea what is going on it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Try stopping and restarting the browser service on the PDC. Check your network neighborhood, to see if you can open the browse list...

I had to wait for the server to act up before I could try what you suggested and it worked. Much faster than a reboot but am still at a loss as to why it is hapenning.
Thank you.

It could be a number of things, but most common a master browser issue. Let us know if the issue continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back