Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Lock-up Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orius

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
Recently my computer has begun locking up on a regular basis. After not using it for about 20 minutes the screen goes black except for a small, faint, red line usually near the top of the screen and the mouse cursor. Nothing remedies this lock up short of hitting the reset button (ctrl+alt+del, makes the light on my intellimouse go out but no further response is seen). I have tried everything I can think of:
- several virus checks
- downloaded and installed new video card drivers
- turned off sleep modes timers
- turned off screen saver
- downloaded some diagnostic software (SANDRA and FreshDiagnose) to attempt to find some sort of conflict
- tried to use dr watson to capture whatever it is that is conflicting, but since I have to reset the computer, the logfile is lost.
- downloaded and installed a program called cacheman (memory manager, I guessed it was a memory problem at first)
I have no idea what to try next.
My system specs:
PIII 750mhz
320 sdram
Hercules 3d Prophet MX Gforce 2
Cd-rom
30gig master HD
10gig secondary HD
Windows 98 SE
Software usually running continuosly:
Zonealarm
Panda Titanium
Pop-up stopper
Java Run-time environment (this downloaded automatically with limewire and occasionally opens when viewing web pages, I understood it to be a program to help browers run and support java, so it also function during some of the lock ups.
Any further information can be given if needed, I would desperately like to get rid of this problem without having to a) format my HD or b) have the comp serviced, as I don't think hitting the reset button 4 to 5 times a day and running scan disk can be good for a computer.
Thanks,
Zack

How long have you had this system? If you've been using it for a while, you might want to reinstall windows. After a wihle of using your computer, a lot of junk gets built up in the system folder and a lot of other stuff modified. That can cause your computer to start acting strange (locking up in your case). Try it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back