Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange keyboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I changed my usb keyboard recently. Plugged it into the W7 machine. On boot up, I can use the keyboard. I can use it for BIOS setting etc. I can use it to choose the W7 menus for starting up etc.

As soon as W7 is booted up, the keyboard is disabled. When I query the device manager, it says it can't find the device driver.

If it cannot find the device driver, then nothing should have worked. It isn't anything special: just a standard keyboard. Brand is a generic Made in China one called HiPoint.

Has anyone had problems with these?

If it cannot find the device driver, then nothing should have worked"

You have USB-support for Mouse/Keyboard in BIOS activated, thats why it works that far.
It seems not to be that normal HW, Windows has generic drivers for that.
Did you try it on another USB-port/PC?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Yes - tried all the usb ports. No, I haven't tried another PC yet. I'll try that tonight. Got one Linux and one XP to try.

Found a site with about 8 different keyboard types. I've tried the first four so far.

My guess is bad keyboard. If you try it on all the available USB and no luck as well as another PC, I would say you have your answer.
If you try it on another PC and it works, test your PSU on the original PC.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I read it that he can use the keyboard to get into BIOS/etc which means the keyboard works... it sounds like to me he may have a specific driver loaded that is not compatible with this keyboard. Maybe use the old keyboard, remove the driver, load the new keyboard, and power back up...

Walt
IT Consulting for Robert Half

Possible, I would try Safe Mode and if so then you are most definitely correct.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Tried it on an XP PC - that works. Works on Linux too. Looks like a W7 problem. I'll try safe mode when the kids come off the machine.

It sounds like the original USB keyboard may have been proprietary - name brand PC - with its own driver - you might have to select a generic keyboard driver while using the factory keyboard, to get the new one to work on reboot.... (use the mouse to shut down and reboot after making the change).

Fred Wagner

The keyboard is also disabled in Safe Mode. When I try connecting the new keyboard, it repeatedly connects, tries to find the driver, fails, disconnects and starts all over again.

Is there a way of getting it to load a different driver and to use that as default?

Comparing the price of keyboards with the value of your time, you might just buy a slightly more expensive keyboard, in a major brand name. Make sure it says on the box that it's Windows 7 compatible.

Fred Wagner

Yes that is true but it was the size of the keyboard that appealed to me. Guess I'll just have to use this one for the Raspberry Pi and keep a lookout for another one that is the correct size and W7 compatible.

Yes, but having said that, the oldest keyboard I'm still using is about 20 years old (an original IBM PS/2). The oldest mouse is about 12 yesrs old. It takes a lot to beat an IBM clunky: the feel is just right. Only problem is the lack of a Windows key.

xwb, I've seen this problem with a USB stick, the VEN&DEV numbering does not get recognized correctly by Win7...

Keyboards and mice are usually controlled (the USB ones) by the HID drivers.

see if you can garner some clues from this:

what it boils down to, is that the USB.inf file is bugged, usually this happens when one upgrades from Vista to Win7, it keeps some of the older inf files in System32\inf folder alive...

You could also attempt the following:

navigate to "c:\Windows\inf\" rename usb.inf (or copy it to a save place).
copy usb.inf from "c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral_269d7150439b3372\" to "c:\Windows\inf\".

and if that does not work, then try the newer usb.inf from the usb.inf_amd64_neutral_153b489118ee37b8 folder (my system has two usb.inf_amd64_xxx folders yours might be different)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back