Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange issue with routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
Hello. I ran into this issue and can't figure out what the problem is. My next step is to get TAC involved, but I wanted to send it out on the waves and see if any of you have an idea. Here is the layout.

New Extreme Core is a stack of 460-48p. Edge switches are all 440-48P. The customer has a Nortel 5600 series switch stack as their existing core. Their current network is a flat Class B network 172.16.0.0 across the whole network. They also have a Watchguard XTM-8 firewall that is acting as their gateway at this time. Here is the goal:

Create multiple class C networks in the 192.168.0.0 range and move all routing operations to the Extreme core, but maintain the class B 172.16.0.0 network across the board for VoIP use only. 440 switches will be layer 2 only.

I configured the Extreme core with mutiple VLANs and enabled ip forwarding. Since the Nortel equipment is using PVID 1 for all of the class B stuff, we used the Default VLAN in the extreme since it's tag is 1 and assigned an IP of 172.16.11.143/16. The class C VLANS are Vlan1,vlan2, etc. There IP addresses are 192.168.10.1,20.1 etc. The default route is the firwewall which is 172.16.0.254. We also have an uplink to the existing Nortel core which is 172.16.11.100. I added a static route in the Nortel 5600 for the 192.168.0.0 networks and pointed it to the Extreme core. We also added a static route in the firewall for the same reason.

At this point the Extreme core can ping across the network and out to the internet. Now we programmed the first edge switch and trunked the default vlan and vlan1 to it. We assigned it an ip address of 172.16.11.144/16, default route is the extreme core. No IP on vlan1. vlan 1 is the untagged PC/data vlan, default is tagged since it has to be on the ports as well and will be used by the phones. We setup a client and a phone and they worked. INternet access etc.

We repeated this same exact process for another edge switch, the only differences being the IP is 172.16.11.146 and it's using vlan3. When we connected a client to this switch we can get to the extreme core and that is it. Unable to ping past the vlan3 gateway of 192.168.30.1. Nothing from the other side can ping that client IP either. We tried from the Nortel 5600 and from the firewall and nothing. Did a traceroute and it's stopping at the Extreme core on the 172.16.11.143 address. Furthermore, the edge switch where this client is connected can't ping the client either.

We triple checked our routing tables in the extreme core and they show to be there for all the networks. It's like the core won't route to anything but the default and vlan1 VLANs. We checked out trunk tagging and all that too. Baffling???? Any ideas?

Figured it out. Customer had an interfsce on their firewall that was assigned the same ip as our vlan3 interface....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back