Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange issue with HP DL380 G4 servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogradePAK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
CA
we have 2 HP DL-380 G4 servers with 4 72 GB Hard drives configured in a RAID-5 with online spare option (hardware RAID)

i booted both the systems for Norton Ghosting (v8.2)their OS partitions and after it was done i rebooted the servers and guess what!!!! one drive of both the servers malfunctioned and on both the machine, the on-line spare is in action!!!

anyone else experienced this?

I would suggest that you are either extremely unlucky (or lucky) to have this type of failure occur on two servers at the same time, or failing that you may have had a power spike or something that triggered this event on both servers. Either way, the Ghosting of the servers would not have caused the issue but remember that when a server reboots it usually runs at full throttle for the first 10-30 seconds before it calms down so if there was a spike or something, it could have happened then if you performed the reboot on both servers at the same time.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

that might be the case, but we have other DL380 G3s as well and i have ghosted them a million times without any problem. i believe there is something weird in these DL380 G4s - ok tell me one thing please, if i put a brand new hard drive in the place of the failed drive, will the data be rebuild in that drive and the online spare will become a spare drive again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back