Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Hub issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermouse1977

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2007
GB
Whilst trying to insert a Draytek unit into our network today I have come across a strange issue.

If I connect my satellite router to the Draytek and the draytek into my test switch and then plug my server into the test switch then everything functions fine, the server has Internet, I can connect to the Draytek with no problem.

If I then transfer the cable from the Draytek and the cable from the server into my office environment hub (an old Cnet unit) nothing works, if I try and ping the Draytek then one ping in 100 will return, all others will time out.

I believe everything on the server is set up OK (hence it all works when connected through the test switch)

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

If so, what was the cause and solution.

Any other suggestions welcome also, as this has got me stumped!!

Curious why you are using a HUB on your network?!

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

It would appear I'm not....

My translation of the labels on the unit from Portuguese into English was flawed!!

A google search reveals that the unit (a Cnet 2400) is actually a switch.

Still have the same problem though!

Is the Cnet 2400 a manageable switch? If so, do you have the port configured in a way that would conflict with your NIC config on the server?

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Nope, no management functionality to the unit at all as far as I can tell from google searches. (there are certainly no RS232 or similar ports on the unit itself)

Ok... clarrifying some things;

draytek - your default router?

so it goes ISP -> Draytek(router) -> Switch -> Host devices

I know on a few routers that have switches built in, you have to plug the switch into the uplink port which is typically the 4th port (if it is a 4 port switch built into the router)

I would double check your network config on the server and the Draytek (ip addresses, subnet mask, gateway on server).

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

OK, My fault for not making things 100% clear.

VSAT router to Internet Port on Draytek.
Server to Cnet 2400
cnet 2400 to gigabit port on draytek

Draytek has been given local IP 192.168.1.1

server is set so that the one nic has

IP 192.168.1.100
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns (left blank - allows server to do dns?)

No forwarders set in DNS

When the problem manifests itself, pings continue to work from both the server and workstations, but the Internet drops

No if you are doing Static IP you NEED to input the DNS entry, now if you do DHCP it will grab the DNS automagically

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back