Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Hardware Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzaman2003

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US

System board: Abit SL6
Memory: 128 mb
Operating system: Win98SE
Hard drive: Maxtor 4.3gb

Hi all,

Maybe someone has seen this before and may know a cause? I've loaded window 98se on this pc. In normal boot the computer starts up, loads the windows screen then the pci system management bus pops up for a second then computer reboots.

This computer boots fine into safe mode but will not boot in normal mode without failing at this screen.

Thank you for any insight.

Pizza

Have you tried a step-by-step boot (available from F8/Ctrl boot menu) - to try to isolate which driver is causing the reboot?

What is the 'pci system management bus'?
Have you tried setting the Bios defaults?
Is it file or registry corruption?
Have you run Scandisk, checked the Scandisk.log?

Andy.

Hey Wolf,

I've gone into attempting this but wouldn't know where to start for this issue never seen this one before.

Why would this be happening in windows98se, and also in windows2000 after doing clean installs with no pci devices attached?

It's beginning to sound like a device breakdown on the mainboard; works with failsafe drivers, doesn't with specific drivers.
Did you manage to access the logs on the Win2000 install?
Could it be a dodgy install drive (CD/DVD drive)?

Andy.

Satrow,

You know now that this was mentioned I'm thinking it's possibly two things. Yes, something is or has gone bad on the mainboard.

Maybe it's the system mangagement bus since the computer is rebooting at this level could be the reason for the failure. So, I'm also thinking that if the computer is going into safe mode and booting fine could it be that by not processing the pci managment system bus that this is the real culprit upon normal boot.

Secondly, I know if I attempt to reboot from cdrom the system is not recognizing the cdrom operating system disk in the drive. So as we speak I'm going to swap the cdrom out and try the installation again quick.

You say
pizzaman2003 said:
know if I attempt to reboot from cdrom the system is not recognizing the cdrom operating system disk in the drive
Please make sure you are setting the boot order to boot from cdrom before harddrive.

I have the bios set to boot from floppy, hdd-0, ls120
so that order seems to be good. Just connected a new cd rom drive and going to install the os one more time.

If this fails and I get the same response my final suspect will be the system board is failing at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back