Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange hack; hacker using w2k messanger serv to advertise on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollux0

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
how is he doing this??? the hacker is using w2k messanger service to advertise on network when a user logs in. I am not sure if he doing this from a single point on the network and it spreads to the remaining network or he is using some sort of scanner and doing it one machine at a time. How can I stop this!!!

please help!!!

I recieved the same thing with my cable modem hooked to a wireless router that I connect my laptop to the internet via the wireless. I think that got at me via the wireless, so I just turned off messeging in the services. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Common sense is an instinct for the truth."
Max Jacobs (1876-1944); French writer.

doesnt really solve the problem, does it?

I got the message too. I am using a dial up connection. Not sure how they are doing it, but sure would like to know

pollux...

do you audit these programs?

ftp.exe tftp.exe command.com cmd.exe telnet.exe wscript.exe cscript.exe

maybe just doing some auditing... or rename the files and you use the new names and see if the old ones get called. Sincerely,
John Ford

I recieved the same message when I logged on to my server. A prompt came up with an advertisement and the options of "OK" and "Cancel".

Now I'm worrying about security.

Manitou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back