Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Exchange 2003 forwarding problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mungus

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2011
GB
I work for a Company which is running Windows SBS 2003 and have strange issue with forwarding emails which come from specific domains. Two of our senior staff have blackberrys and when an email is sent to their exchange email address their entry in AD is set to forward the email to an external email account (using an AD contact) AND to deliver the email to their exchange mailbox. This works well most of the tme, however when they are sent emails from certain domains the email gets forwarded to their blackberrys but doesn't go to the exchange mailbox. I've been trying to solve the problem for weeks and i cannot make head nor tail of what is causing this problem. Has anyone out there seen anything similar and know how I might fix it?? it's driving me nuts!

(This is a repost, as I previously posted this in the wrong forum - oops)

Thanks, Dan

Check the Outlook junkmail folder. you can also configure Outlook to perminately delete junkmail and not send it to the junkmail folder.

Ensure you have no 3rd party SPAM filtering or that your anti-virus is not quaratining or deleting it.

You can also enable message tracking and SMTP logging to assit you.

I've managed to solve the problem, it doesn't make complete sense - but it works.. Our AV software is set to quarantine only malware and let everything else through. Exchange smtp smart filtering is installed but not enabled on the virtual smtp host. However despite not being enabled this component was the source of the problem, once I whitelisted the IP addresses of the external mail servers (which were not getting delivered internally) emails finally started getting through. It seems this component and it's features installed as part of a service pack update and despite not being enabled it was preventing the email from being delivered - I foolishly thought that not enabled meant not enabled....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back