Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange ethernet ports in Fedora 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownGuy

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
US
Hi,

I've run Fedora Core 2 and 3 in the past, and I just tried Fedora 7. I seem to have a firewall problem, because remote access to one of the custom applications that I run on the Linux machine keeps getting blocked. I've turned off the firewall and SelLinux in Setup but I still can't remotely access my custom server on port 5xxx.

Is it possible that the firewall is still blocking my remote access ? If so, how do I turn it off ? Or, how do I tell it to allow remote access to my application to pass ?

How do I find a list of all ports that are already in use by Fedora 7 in case I'm trying to use a port that's already used ? It wasn't a problem on Fedora Core 2 or 3.

I see strange ethernet ports when I run ifconfig that I've never seen before. Do they have anything to do with the problem ? I see eth0 (as before, has some traffic), lo (as before), peth0 (new to me, has an amount of traffic similar to eth0), and virbr0 (new to me).

During booting, I see that ipv6 is tunneled over ipv4. I don't need ipv6. How do I turn it off ? Could it be a part of the problem ?

I can access SSH and HTTP servers on the Linux machine fine, even with custom port numbers for them that I specified in the various configuration files.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-- NewtownGuy

How do I find a list of all ports that are already in use by Fedora 7 in case I'm trying to use a port that's already used?
nmap might be used for a portscan:
Code:
nmap  -p1-65535  192.168.0.1
replace the IP of course, use
> man nmap
> nmap --help
to find out more about nmap.

don't visit my homepage:

lsof -Pni
will list the services and the ports that are listening.

nmap (prior post) from ANOTHER machine will reveal ports actually found to be open

iptables -L
will list the firewall rules on your machine

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Last but not least if you have linked to libwrap in your app check your tcpwrapper configuration in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back