Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Errors - should I use compact and repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neillovell

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
GB
Hi,
my users have been encountering strange errors relating to my Access 2002 database. I've just fixed a problem - for some reason the Week field, which holds the week number, had decided some entries were in week 45 instead of week 12. It seemed that just for that user, a handful of entries had been changed.

Does this sound like a job for compact and repair?

Compact and repair can be a good thing. But before you do that, are you sure this isn't a case of 'operator error'? The 4 and 5 are directly above the 1 and 2 on the ten-key number pad. I have pulled my hair out trying to figure out a problem with one of my programs only to discover that the end users are human and sometimes make mistakes. Mooo... :)

Sorry, the week number is generated by the ASP code on the webpage front end - the user doesn't enter it.

Ah however it is on the page as an invisible field, maybe then somehow (the tab button?) the user has inputted a number?

I'll keep an eye on the database to see if it happens again.

Good thought though!

Damn ASP! :)

Hope it doesn't happen again. Good luck. Mooo... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back