Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange error when trying to open any Excel file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
Weirdest thing. I can double click on a file icon of ANY Excel spreadsheet file, Excel starts up, but then it give the error "Cannot open (filename/path) or one of its components. Make sure all required libraries are available"... or something to that effect. I even went as far as to uninstall/reinstall Office2000, but I'm still getting the error....

I can open the files from Excel, but just cannot double-click on a file itself....

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Haven't a clue, as it doesn't say what's missing. It just says that it cannot open, or cannot find the file (or one of its components), but I've checked and there's nothing embedded in any of these files that could've been uninstalled. I even saved a blank workbook, closed out Excel, and tried to open it by clicking on the file icon, and I still get the error box....

Before recieving this error, was any software uninstalled recently?

What OS are you using? I may have be a able to get you a registry tweak.

No, no software, and I can't tweak the registry... it's a company computer :(

What happens when you open Excel from the start menu rather than opening a specific file?

Oh, if you just open the Excel program, nothing. It loads up and creates a new document just fine. The error occurs when I double click on an existing Excel file icon...

Space character in the filename? I have seen something similar when the filename was something like "my file.xls"

When you click the icon it trys to open file called "my" and creates error report.

Dreamboat- I'm off for a couple of days, but when I get back to work I'll try that and let y'all know....

Thanks!
AT

Just tried it on my home pc.... I think that's got it!!!!

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!
AT

I keep seeing this more and more... I don't know what's happening that *trips* this setting. Everyone I have helped with that says *How did that get turned on??*

And I HATE when I don't catch them before they reinstall Office...

Happy to help!

We see this error from time to time on our workstations as well. In our environment (Novell Netware 5.0, GroupWise 5.5 and 6.1, Windows 2000 workstations) this error seems to be related somehow to GroupWise document integrations with Office 2000.

GroupWise accomplishes its document management integrations via startup macros that it installs to the various MS Office programs: sometimes these macros get corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Perhaps a related issue is happening here with a macro in a specific Excel document that is tripping the "Ignore other programs" setting somehow.

Or maybe one of the ubiquitous Microsoft security updates is tripping the setting for us. Excel is, after all, much more secure if you can't use it at all. ;-)

--Eusebius
System Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back