Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange error message!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADoozer

Programmer
Dec 15, 2002
AU
i have an xls (excel) spreadsheet saved onto my desktop (not a shortcut)... if i double click it i get an error

cannot find the file "file path which is correct" (or one of its components.) make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available

however if i open this file from within excel (c:\docs and sets\admin\desktop etc!!!) it opens...

has anyone come across this or know of a fix! ive tried moving the file but the problem persists! its as if double clicking this one file causes it to go doolaly!!

thnx in advance!

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
The Great Date Debate Thread222-368305
File Formats Galore @ or

you could try New Shortcut whose Command line is something like
&quot;C:\program files\office\excel&quot; &quot;<filename>&quot;

Right click desktop - New Shortcut
Browse for Excel location - it should put path & exe in Quotes. At the end of command line add a space and your file name including full path. If your file name & path has any spaces put that in quotes as well.

yes... but the fact the file is actually saved on the desktop, shouldnt require a shortcut placed on the desktop!!

this is just another one of bills little trials sent to test me!!! but its Ruddy annoying!!!

like i said the file path is correct... if i move it to another folder, the file path is correct but it just wont open unless i open excel and select open!!

thnx again in advance!

File Formats Galore @ or

Sounds as if it is a file association problem. Try right clicking on the file and choose open with...Then find the excel program to open it with. Also if you don't have the open with option, Open Explorer and click on tools, folder options Then File Types. Find XLS or the other extension your file has and see if Excel is associated with that file extension. If not highlight it then click on Change and choose excel as it's opening program.

Hope this helps.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Systems Engineer

So the file is saved right in the Desktop Folder or the shortcut is in the desktop folder? You can tell based on the little shortcut arrow next to 'shortcut name' on desktop.
Shortcuts dragged between PCs/location take with them the old location. Drag shortcut from PC A to PC B and when attempting to open shortcut on B it tries to go back to A to run.
The shortcut doesn't work (but the file does open) then the shortcut isn't set up properly. So if you believe the file path is correct for both the EXE & XLS then maybe it is the working directory or how the shortut created.
Sorry

tried right clicking.. same error
tried right clicking->properties etc same error!
file->folder etc same error!!!

i have found a few more xls files that do this too...

a virus maybe????

im out of ideas....

any help still appreciated!!!

File Formats Galore @ or

LOB: it is not a shortcut... it was saved to the desktop as an xls file in january... it worked up until last week....

File Formats Galore @ or

Sorry kept missing that shortcut issue, I'm too old to read.
SIRCAM32 virus has been known to do that to EXEs

lol... its ok...

is that a new virus??? im up to date with Norton!! but i cant find the definition?!?!??!

thnx again... i really dont like virii!!!!

File Formats Galore @ or

Techy69 is on the right track. It is a file association problem and if you follow his directions you will most likely find that as well as Excel using the extension .xls, another programme has grabbed it as well.
Have you by any chance installed &quot;Open Office&quot; or anything like that?
Cheers...

there is only one reference for XLS file format and it points to excel worksheet (as expected) ive tried all the other suggestions by techy69 as well!

(never even heard of open office)

ive even tried deleting the xls file extension from the file type dialog and reselecting excel!! again no luck!!

im stumped... i have some xls files tht will open and some that wont, throwin the error!!!

thnx for the input!

File Formats Galore @ or

What version of Excel are you using? What version was your errant file created in? Go to &quot;Control Panel/Add Remove Progs&quot; and click &quot;Change&quot; to repair your installation (depending on your O/S).
It is still an association problem but this should fix it.
Cheers........

ok... hmmm i solved the problem!!!

egg on my face!!!

in one of my VB apps i used a property called IgnoreRemoteRequests (excel automation) unfortunately this feature does not reset on destruction of the excel object and hence continues to deny all DDE requests!! i have since reset this property to false and all errors have gone away!

if u ever see a programmer in this forum again with a similar question... laugh and point from me!!

thanks guys for your continued help!!

File Formats Galore @ or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back