Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange email won't send

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2005
US
Sorry about the vague subject... not sure what to "call" this.

For the longest time, I have been unable to send an email to one specific individual. My emails keep getting bounced back to me as Undeliverable... but there is no header information. I am sure I am using the right email address... please keep reading.

I am not using Exchange... rather, I use a service offered by DynDns... and it works great in all other circumstances.

We DO have Exchange set up in our office, but none of us use it... at least we are not aware of using it...

But today, a coincidence happened that might shed some light on my inability to send this email to this ONE individual... our Exchange server was unplugged. At that point, I could still send emails to ANYBODY except for this ONE individual. When I would try to send him a test email, in the "To" field in Outlook, his email address (firstname.lastname@domainname.com) would be underlined in red, and upon trying to send that email, Outlook would give me a message saying something like "Cannot connect to Exchange so you can't send email." What stumps me, is I ONLY get that message when trying to email that ONE individual. Other emails go out fine through the DynDns SMTP service I use.

I've talked to the people that manage this recipient's emails and they tell me they are never seeing any kind of rejected emails coming in from DynDns or me... so it APPEARS that these emails to this ONE individual are never actually leaving here... somehow they are (?) getting hung up in Exchange?... which we don't use.... and ALL my other emails work fine.

I've looked in my local Outlook Blocked Senders list (and other Junk Mail settings) but I see no reference to this ONE individual's email.

I CAN send him an email through a web-based email service... which of course, is not going through the DynDNS SMTP service... or presumably through our Exhchange....(which we don't use!)

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? The key clue for me now is that the email address is underlined in red in the "To" field in Outlook when our Exchange server is unplugged.

Well I think you have narrowed in on your problem yourself...

For this individual, you are interfacing with exchange even if you think that you are not using it. This is from your description of the message returned.

Double check where this individual exists, internal or external and revise you info

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

did you somehow add this person your Contacts list (even though you don't use Exchange)? if so, delete him from there and see if you can then send him emails through DynDns.

Why have an exchange server that you don't use?

If you really don't use it, perhaps you could send it to me?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back