Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange display problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
This may be coincidental but it only happened after my W10 desktop was updated to 1809.

Whenever I start up the machine from cold, all I see is an arrow cursor and nothing else.

I have to login remotely and reboot the machine. After that it boots up correctly and I can use the machine.

The display adapter isa 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO. I've checked the drivers - system says they are all up to date. Any idea what might be happening?

This issue is been acknowledged by MS and they would be rolling out the fix in the next update. But for time being you can completely uninstall the Firmware and download the new copy from ATI site and install again or simply run system restore to system scheduled check point from safe mode with networking

Adrian G,

We had issues with earlier versions of W10 with those cards and actually just ended up replacing them with $40 replacements to avoid the issue all together. Probably not what you wanted to hear but just so you know it isnt an isolated incident as Adrian points out.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

The $40 replacement is an interesting option but Adrian's suggestion sounds like more fun. I'll let you know how I get on.

@AdrianGates - Changing to cheap Nvidia video cards fixed our issues totally. It is an issue with the AMD driver and Windows 10 of certain versions. We did not try putting those cards back in after the 1903 update to see if it fixed it or not. Frankly we will just stay with what works.
That said I am sad to see it happen to an AMD. I prefer their CPUs and GPUs to Intel or Nvidia but it happens sometimes.....

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Price may not be high but there is no fun in it. Replacing part A with part B may be easy but I'm a tinkerer. I like to tinker with stuff until it either totally breaks or it is fixed. Anyway, I've fixed the problem for now using the new drivers, rolling back and all manner of resets.

Just make sure that if you are using an older driver to disable the auto search for new drivers in the ATI console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back