Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange, difficult to solve problems with Windows 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoX

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2001
IE
The installation of Windows 98 on my Gateway PC has become totally unstable and unusable.

- none of the desktop links are working - even the icons have reverted to the default windows icon.

- various drivers are no longer working eg CD-ROM drive

- winguard (virus checker) is disabled

- access to the control panel is not possible eg running control.exe has no effect.

Basically nothing works.

Is this evidence of some sort of virus?
Is there a straightforward way of getting this previously perfectly working PC back up?
If not, what is the best way to begin diagnosing the problem?

Any ideas?

First thing I would do is to run a virus scan from a write protected clean floppy(updated with the latest virus definitions).

Patrick

I am curious is the pc booting into safe mode for some reason?

Sounds like a case of the SIRCAM virus.

Since you just loaded Win98, I'm assuming you can just format the hard drive and start over. That would be your best solution, unless you upgraded from a previous OS.

If you don't want to format and start over, search by keyword "Sircam" in this forum to find an alternative solution...

~cdogg

If not Sircam:

One of the best things about 98, is that it keeps a backup of the registry for the past 5 days, or more with ini file editting. Re-loading the system will not fix registry errors.

Try hitting F8 on startup, choose command prompt only. At the c: prompt, type:
cd\windows\command
then type:
scanreg /restore
and choiose a date prior to the problem.

Here's a few hidden Tools:

1. System Configuration Editor
Go to Start>Run, type sysedit

2. Hardware Info
Go to Start>Run, type hwinfo /ui
This shows the hidden user interface and shows problems in red text.

3. Dr. Watson
Go to Start>Run, type drwatson
He will appear in the tray area, just right-click and choose Dr Watson to take a snapshot.

4. DirectX information
Go to Start>Run, type dxinfo

5. Microsoft System Information...
Go to Start>Run, type msinfo32

6. RegClean, I know (but everyone should have it)
Go to Start>Run, type C:\THe path to regclean\regclean.exe /d
This will show you the hidden interface in Microsoft's RegClean program.
It will now appear on the menu.

7. Find out what version of Microsoft's Virtual Machine you are running. Go to Start>Programs>MS-DOS Prompt and type jview

8. Repair or restore internet Explorer 5.0 or higher. Go to Start>Run line>type:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files \Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"
or the shortened version:
Go to Start>Run line>type
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance

reghakr

If the registry restore works run a virus scan afterwards.

--online scanner

if the restore doesn't work try downloading EXEfix08.com to your desktop and run it. Now see if those items you mentioned work. Then run a virus scan.

Regardless of what you do, run a virus scan!

You may also want to download the sircam removal tool available from the symantec website. I have removed this virus from machines containing the virus and when the applications would not work, I saved it to a floppy on another machine and ran it from the A: drive. It worked well. I just unzipped it to the floppy and ran the .exe

Kento is right Housecall is a great online virus scan tool. If you are not having any problems with your browser, by all means use it..

Hi.

Thanks to everbody who took the trouble to reply.

I ran EXEfix08.com to detect Sircam but it came up negative.

I ran the f-prot.exe anti-virus tool - it found W97/Myna.H in a number of documents - but I don't this is responsible for the problems.

Unfortunately the registry backups on the PC are all as screwed up as the current one.

I don't really want to format the PC - any other suggestions as to the next best step.

Your best bet is to save what you need and FORMAT
but if you can try reinstalling windows and reinstalling any programs you have problems with (overtop the existing programs). Depending what the virus does to files you might have quite a battle ahead of you.
Good Luck!

Admin
Cbordin@windsorgear.com

I think what I'll do is move all my data to a backup directory and carry out a full reinstall of windows 98.

Can anyone advise on a set of steps for re-installing windows 98 to ensure that all traces of the existing version are removed?

The only way that I know of to do it to make CERTAIN that all traces of an old install of Windows is gone is to format your hard disk and reinstall from scratch. That's going to mean moving all your relevent data and files to another media. I may be wrong, but from my experience with systems as obviously corrupted as yours, simply reinstalling Windows over the top of a new installation won't solve the problem, or if it does, it will be simply a temporary fix and it won't be long before you will be in a similar (or worse situation). If you have a lot of programs/patches/updates, etc. it may seem like a daunting task to simply wipe the hard drive and start over, but in the long run, it may be your best bet. Hope someone has a better idea, because I'd sure like to hear it.

Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

I'm proposing to move all my data to a backup directory and then Delete ALL other directories before reinstalling Windows.

Anyone care to take a guess if these steps would be sufficient to rid myself of the problems?

Try deltree *.*, this will clean everything. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Just deleteing directories <b>WILL NOT</b]solve the problems you are having. It will not remove corrupted registry entries. With the amount of problems you describe the only way is a total re-format.

reghakr

obviously I should have previwed my post.

How is it that I immediately go back to view my post and I have a star? How can that be possible in a matter of 2 seconds? Nobody could have even read the post in that amount of time.

reghakr

Some one was quick on the draw! (Was not me) James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hi, just to let everybody know how this thing concluded - I wasted a lot of time going down various blind alleys but I ended up backing up data using floppy disks, formatting the PC and reinstalling Win 98.

Again thanks to everybody for all the help and comments

One thing I have learned in the decision process of should I reformat or fix.
Fix: how much is my time worth.
Format: Will this solve the problem in the shortest time possible.

How much data have I backed up.

TIP::: If you want to reinstall Windows and keep all of your software intact try this.

BOOT to DOS
c:\windows>
c:\windows>ren win.com win.moc
c:\windows>\cd
c:> d:[or drive where Win98 CD is]cd win98
d:\win98>setup

It will come to a point in the setup that will ask where to place windows directory (for example) c:\windows.000
REMOVE extension .000 and force Windows to reinstall in the old Directory.

This for the most part fixes the screwed up registry 97% of the time.
But again...... Reformatting isn't so bad. I try to reformat at least every 6 to 8 months.
Keeps the Hard drive faster and it is good practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back