Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange date format

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnorth

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I'm having a miserable time trying to figure out a strange date format that is used in a stock trading program. Here are some of the values.

12-11-2001 b0c07694
01-02-2002 600c7994
02-01-2002 90127994

If anyone can shed some light on this I would gratly appreciate it.

mcnorth, have you read FAQ222-2244 yet?

It looks like it could be a hex value. Check to see if there is a letter higher than F (G - Z). I would then bet if it is a hex value it is the number of seconds from a specific time, whether that is from GMT or EST midnight or the opening bell for the market for the day I couldn't tell you.

Good Luck

It's definitely hex values as they come from a binary file. I'm just baffled as to how to make sense of them. I considered the "seconds from a specific date" logic, thinking that then I could use "DateSerial" on them, but the difference from one day to the next is only a value of 16. Not enough for seconds, too much for days and just right to be wrong.

Re: mcnorth, have you read FAQ222-2244 yet?

No I hadn't read that. Should I have not posted to this forum? If so, my apologies. I just joined. As for putting in some effort to reolving this before posting, I've been at it for days.

Thanks vb5prgrmr! I appreciate your response.

>Should I have not posted to this forum?

If you are using VB (not VBA) then this is the forum for you.

>I considered the "seconds from a specific date" logic,

You have the date! It would be seconds from a time on that date!

Good Luck

But it can't be because there are only 16 value units from one day to the next and there are 86,400 seconds in each day.

and
[tt]
?hex(86400)
[/tt]
So its slowly dawning upon me what you mean.

I also tried it based upon an 8, 8.5, and 9 hour day. The 8 hour day looked promising but its values were a little to low so I incresed by 1/2 hour increments and the 8.5 hour day was almost there but when I got to a 9 hour day it blew that theory out of the water. So your guess is as good as mine at the moment (yours is probably better).

Good Luck

Ugly, isn't it? Right now I'm chasing floating point numbers. There's some reason to believe that the values I posted may be the old Microsoft binary format that is then converted to IEEE. I'm using a dll for conversion that is available here. (in case it has any value to someone that happens along) Floating point numbers are a whole other headache.

Thanks again for taking a look at this.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

This is the old Microsoft binary floating point format in which the first 8 bits (most significant) are the exponent, the next one is the sign and the last 23 (least significant) are the mantissa. The result gives a 7 digit number in which the left 3 digits are the number of years since 1900 (good call vb5prgrmr) the next 2 are the month and the last 2 are the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back