Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange connectivity issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsamis

MIS
Jul 16, 2010
US
Note --- I had originally posted this in the HP/3Com Networking forum, but figured it could be nonspecific to the type of switch being used and perhaps a general TCP/IP problem.

I am having a very unusual issue with two ProCurve 4204 switches. Several, but not all of the devices connected to the switch appear to only be capable of one way communication over the network. Specifically, the machines affected can do or go anywhere on the LAN and even out the internet. However, these machines cannot be pinged, managed, rdp'd into, etc. Nor can files or unc paths be accessed.

Windows firewall is not at play here, as that service is disabled via group policy on the overwhelming majority of the internal computers here. Nor is there any other third party security software being utilized other than antivirus (which has been there forever basically) and windows defender (don't see a potential relationship).

I am inclined to believe the problem is related to the switch as I was able to rectify the problem in a couple, but not all, cases by moving the afflicted device to a different port on the opposite switch. This brought the connection back in some, but again, not all cases. I can say with confidence that is not a bad port as in the cases where moving the device to a new port did work, when the same device (or any other) is moved back to the original port it continues to function normally. That said, I have tried this procedure on other devices to no avail.

There is no intelligible pattern based on subnet, link speed, machine type, operating system, or even physical location either on the switch or in the office.

I really do not have any idea what could be going on here and some suggestions would be most helpful. Has anyone seen something like this happen before? Everything was working fine yesterday, I am at a loss for what could be causing this. I was considering rebooting the switches, but I don't know for certain that this will work.

Thank you in advance!

If you haven't already try checking:
- Duplex settings on the ports in question (set them to full if theyre currently at half)
- cable quality (set both port and attached device to auto. If the device can't reach the nominated port speed you have a cabling issue)
- are the machines you're not able to get a reply back from hooked onto the other switch? if so it may be connection issue with the way you are stacking them? (check your gbic connectors)
- finally check that you haven't looped a port back into the same switch..this can cause all sorts of weird errors (painstaking i know but worth it!)

never say die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back