Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange broadcast packets from MacOS or MS Office 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeats

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have a G4 running a fresh install of MacOS 10.3.9, that only has 2 applications on it: Rumpus FTP server and MS Office 2004

My firewall is reporting that this machine is sending some kind of packet to 255.255.255.255 1440 times a day, which is once every minute.

I spoke to Rumpus tech support and he said there is no way Rumpus is doing this.
That leaves the MacOS or MS Office 2004.

Has anyone seen this?

While your firewall is blind to the app causing this transfer, you can Google for an application called 'LittleSnitch' that runs on OSX and alerts you to any app accessing the internet.

That IP is probably part of the subnet mask for your machine. Go to Apple menu/About this mac, click on More and then Network. You should see the number.

That IP is held by ICANN from a range starting about 240.000.000 up through the one you're getting.

If you have any internet activity on the machine, including having Entourage or Mail check for mail or send mail, or even on, you should get some such report. If you’re on a high speed network like cable or dsl, you’ll get activity reported as long as the router is active.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back