Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STP/Switching Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountnco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2006
AU
I have recently changed the network that I manage at a school to allow redundancy. The school runs two subnets, which used to be hardware defined. I have now created VLANs (104 and 90). The image attached depicts the network topology.

There are 2 Fibre Optic links between our two campuses. Before I made the changes all the white switches were dedicated to the now 90 VLAN. Therefore each subnet had it's own fibre link. Using VLANs I have allowed both the subnets to use either of the fibre links. When I check the switch configurations they show the links that are discarding by STP (as shown in the picture attached).

My issue is that when I bring up the fibre link that connects the white switches the network begins to run slow and seems as if there is a loop or misconfiguration, even though I can see STP discarding on those ports! When I bring the link down both VLANs work fine across the single fibre link and has high performance.

Any ideas on what may be causing the issue?

I'm using 3Com switches, because their cheap and the school can't afford nice cisco gear. I am using several different models including 4200G and Baseline Switch 29xx Plus. Some of these switches are running STP and others are running RSTP and MSTP. I read that these were backward compatible, is this true and would it cause my problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back