Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STP Issue with 350 wireless bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjonline

Programmer
Nov 23, 2002
US
Hi

I have a little problem maybe someone can help me with:

I have two 2950 switches, one in one office one in another.
they are totally seperated.
I set the priority of one to 8000 so it always beomes the root. the other I set to 30000.

I have a copper link between the offices which uses mDSL modems from blackbox.co.uk these are ethernet bridge modules.

If I connect to switch 2 and set logging console and debug spantree events

and then I connect the copper I see BPDU from switch1 and switch 2 learns 1 is root. Alls well

As I needed a redundant link I have setup a wireless path using three 350 bridges. in same office as switch1 I have a unit setup as root ( with STP enabled )

at a bounce point I have one setup as a repeater

and at second office where switch 2 is I have the last unit set as client/non root.

this has been tested seperately and works fines, they all associate and pass traffic, pings etc. So acts as point to point link.

trouble comes when I link into my previous setup with the copper connected.

switch 2 sees wireless bridge 3 send its own BPDU saying that it is the switch,

but the wireless connection is supposed to be passing BPDU's from switch 1 over its links so that all switches learn of the root, and its not doing it so I am ending up with a loop.

the 350's have stp enabled on all ports and they all use vlan 1 ( default )

trouble is 350 does seem to be very helpful when comes to debugging, I cant work out how to see STP state or debug info.

anybody any ideas on what I can try

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back